The NBN will transform the Australian telecoms sector. This online course outlines the NBN technologies, services, policies and business environment.
The content, developed independently of NBN Co, has been widely run for Commonwealth, State and Local Govt agencies and enterprise clients, and presents a detailed and unbiased view of the project.
Who would benefit from this course?
Those in NBN related technical and non-technical roles, both within and outside the telecoms sector. Course participants may come from State and Commonwealth Government agencies, local councils, retail service providers, engineering companies and carriers.
...essential background for those with NBN related roles
The NBN will provide high speed broadband using a mix of Fibre to the Premises (FTTP), Fibre to the Node (FTTN), Cable, Wireless and Satellite Broadband technologies. This online course, suitable for both technical and non-technical audiences, outlines NBN technologies, NBN policy issues and the business model.
In particular, the course considers NBN implications arising from the 2013 change of Government.
The course begins with an overview how the NBN has evolved through successive governments. The NBN wholesale service model is then outlined, along with a review of the NBN rollout. Following this, NBN technology components are reviewed, focusing on FTTP and FTTN and their underlying technologies (both current and future). The NBN architecture is then described, as well as the interfaces between service providers and the NBN.
NBN Wireless and Satellite Broadband services are then reviewed, focusing on the technologies and their expected performance. The course concludes by examining the NBN consumer and business services, voice services, regulatory issues (including the ACCC role) and the NBN pricing model.
Participants completing this course should be able to:
- Outline the NBN objectives and business case, and describe the wholesale service model
- List the NBN data rates, and describe what they actually mean
- Outline how the Fibre to the Premises “GPON” architectures used in the NBN will cater for growth in bandwidth requirements
- Describe the key capabilities of Fibre to the Node (FTTN) broadband
- Outline how cable broadband technologies may extend to the NBN
- Define POI, Fibre Serving Area (FSA), Fibre Distribution Hub, Fibre Access Node, and describe the interface points between the NBN and carriers/access seekers
- Describe the progress of and key issues facing the NBN rollout
- Outline the key details of the NBN fixed wireless broadband architecture and services
- Describe the key NBN Interim Satellite Service characteristics
- List the key features and describe the capacity of the NBN Long Term Satellite Service
- Describe the mechanisms for voice service provision within the NBN
- Understand how the NBN pricing model works
- Describe the key regulatory issues facing the NBN and the ACCC role